Thousands of animals pass through our shelter every year. Our staff works hard to provide excellent, compassionate care to every single animal, but we need help. Our volunteers help us give our animals more comfort, love, security, and fun.
The first step to becoming a volunteer at Memphis Animal Services is attending a volunteer orientation, which are individualized according to species. You can sign up by submitting an application here.
- If you want to volunteer with CATS, you’ll attend our Cat Volunteer Orientation (offered the first Sunday and second Saturday of the month)
- If you want to volunteer with DOGS, you’ll attend our Dog Volunteer Orientation (offered the second Sunday and third Saturday of the month).
You are welcome to attend both orientations if you would like to work with both dogs and cats!
Volunteers fill many roles at MAS, including:
VOLUNTEER WITH DOGS
To volunteer with dogs, the first step is to attend a Dog Volunteer Orientation, which is offered one Saturday and one Sunday per month, here at MAS at 2350 Appling City Cove. Submit a volunteer application here to sign up for a dog volunteer orientation
VOLUNTEER WITH CATS
To volunteer with cats, the first step is to attend a Cat Volunteer Orientation, which is offered one Saturday and one Sunday per month, here at MAS at 2350 Appling City Cove. Submit a volunteer application here to sign up for a cat volunteer orientation.
IN-SHELTER BASIC VOLUNTEER DUTIES
-Walking dogs in our 9 play yards
-Teaching basic obedience to dogs
-Taking photos of adoptable pets
-Taking videos of adoptable pets
-Introducing dogs and/or cats to potential adopters
OFFSITE BASIC VOLUNTEER DUTIES
-Working off-site adoption events, including greeting visitors, handling pets, introducing pets to potential adopters, adoption counseling, etc.
IN-SHELTER SPECIALIZED VOLUNTEER DUTIES
-MAS needs veterinarians and vet techs to volunteer! Veterinarians can now earn 4 of their required 20 annual CEs by volunteering at MAS. Email Shanna Wall, DVM, if you’re interested! Volunteer orientation not required.
FROM-HOME BASIC AND SPECIALIZED VOLUNTEER DUTIES
-Posting MAS strays on Nextdoor (you choose one day that you will post every week)
-Designing adoption flyers for pets and/or events
-Designing lost/found flyers for stray pets and posting in area found
-Writing bios for adoptable pets based on staff/volunteer feedback
–Volunteer orientation not required. Please email email@example.com if you’re interested.
For more information about our volunteer program, send us an email or call (901) 636-1448. We hope the time you spend here will be a very rewarding experience!
Volunteer Mission Statement
The volunteer program was developed to promote and complement the work of Memphis Animal Services in a voluntary capacity.
- To promote and support the work of Memphis Animal Services to complement staff efforts
- To provide care and assistance to the animals at Memphis Animal Services
- To assist with furthering the services and programs of Memphis Animal Services
- To provide public awareness and education on the proper care and treatment of animals
- To promote the human-animal bond
- The joy of returning pets to their families
- Placing pets into deserving homes
- Listing animals that will become loving pets on the website
- Welcoming new visitors to the center
- Making people aware of the needs of animals
- Being part of the solution to problems surrounding pet overpopulation
Volunteers are vital to any community-based program. Memphis Animal Services is no different. We rely on our volunteers for support in a variety of important and truly life-saving endeavors from customer service and adoption assistance to helping people reunite with their lost pets and assistance at off-site adoption events. There are countless ways you can help!