The Memphis Academy of Civic Engagement (MACE) is a multi-week course sponsored by the Memphis City Council. It is designed to connect residents with their local municipal government. MACE will enhance residents’ civic knowledge, strengthen participants’ understanding of how their local government works for them, and promote civic volunteer opportunities. MACE’s goal is to get residents directly involved in their local communities and municipal government. The Academy will ultimately prepare and activate everyday citizens into action in their communities through service, volunteerism, and leadership — beyond the voting booth.
Memphis Academy of Civic Engagement Application
- Deadline for applications: October 26th, 2022 at 11:59pm CST
- Applicants selected for the Fall 2022 Cohort will be notified by October 31st, 2022.
MACE in the Media
- Press release for MACE Applications: October 2022
- WREG Live at 9 interviews: July 2021, January 2022
- Council in Your Neighborhood podcast episode: Community Involvement with JB Smiley, Jr. (produced by Kudzukian)
- Who is eligible to apply for the program?
- Citizens of Memphis ages 18 and over can apply.
- What do participants learn?
- Participants in the program will learn about many facets of Memphis government and civic participation from the program facilitators and invited speakers in a multi-session format. Speakers will include leaders of various divisions of City of Memphis government who will share how the divisions serve the citizens of Memphis each day, and representatives from community organizations will share how they serve Memphians in varying capacities. Selected session topics include: Memphis 101, City budgeting, public safety, service opportunities, etc.
- What is the format of the sessions? When are the sessions?
- Sessions will be 1.5-2 hours in length. The dates for the Fall 2022 cohort are as follows: November 2, 9, and 16; December 3, 7, 10, and 17. Depending on the date of the session, the meetings will be held on Wednesday evenings (approximately 6-7:30pm) and Saturday mornings (approximately 10am-12pm). The sessions on November 2, December 3, and December 17 will be held in-person at the Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library. All other sessions will be held virtually.
- I can’t participate in this cohort but am interested in the program. Will there be more cohorts in the future?
- There are currently two additional cohorts planned for the FY23 year for the winter and spring of 2023. Check back for updates on future cohort applications.
- I’m interested in MACE but missed the application deadline. How can I submit my contact information to learn when the next application cycle opens?
- Send an email with your name, preferred email address, and request to be added to the notification list for the next application cycle to MACE@memphistn.gov.
- Who can I contact with questions?
- Email: MACE@memphistn.gov
- Memphis City Council office: 901-636-6786