Homeownership! The American Dream!
The City of Memphis, through its Division of Housing and Community Development (HCD), offers financial assistance to its citizens through the Down Payment Assistance Program (DPA), to assist with meeting the financial requirements of purchasing a home. DPA provides funds to help meet the down payment and closing cost requirements needed to complete the closing.
We have a variety of programs that provide assistance to homebuyers meeting program eligibility requirements. Requirements may include income limits, employment, location of the home, and being a first-time homebuyer. All properties must be located within the city limits of Memphis and must be assessed Memphis City taxes. The maximum sales price for all programs is the current HOME Value Limits, as determined by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Based on funding availability, the maximum amount of assistance is up to 10% of the sales price, not to exceed $10,000.
If you are ready to purchase a home, information is available to help you determine which program may fit your needs. Please click on the links below to learn more about the various programs available.
Citywide DPA Programs:
Citywide DPA (CWDPA) – maximum income limit is 80% area median income, may purchase anywhere in the city limits.
Memphis Housing Authority (MHA) – current or recently displaced MHA residents, maximum income limit is 80% area median income, may purchase anywhere in the city limits.
Section 8 Homeownership Program (SHAPE) – current Housing Choice Voucher holders, maximum income limit is 80% area median income, may purchase anywhere in the city limits.
Targeted Area DPA (TADPA) – must purchase home through MHA HOPE VI Program, maximum income limit is 80% area median income.
Homebuyer Incentive Programs:
Homebuyer Program Incentive Citizens (HIPC) – Maximum income limit is 200% area median income; must purchase within 15 designated areas within the city!
Homebuyer Program Incentive Police (HIPP) – must be a uniformed officer with City of Memphis Police Department for a minimum of one year, no income limit, may purchase anywhere in the city limits.
Homebuyer Program Incentive Firemen (HIPF) – must be a front-line fire fighter with City of Memphis Fire Department for a minimum of one year, no income limit, may purchase anywhere in the city limits.
Homebuyer Incentive Program Teacher (HIPT) – out of funds. Must be a full-time classroom teacher, certified in grades K-12 with Shelby County Schools for a minimum of two years, no income limit, may purchase anywhere in the city limits.
To Apply for DPA:
1) All applications for DPA are made through an approved DPA Lender. Lenders request to use our program and once approved, they are added to our list. Please email DPA@memphistn.gov
2) The lender will complete the DPA Application and gather all required documents. Once your first mortgage loan is approved, your lender will submit your file to the DPA Department for processing.
3) Please complete the Income-Asset Questionnaire and submit to your lender at application.
4) After DPA has reviewed and approved your file, DPA will notify the lender that the file is approved and your check and documents are complete. The DPA approval time is 10 business days from the time we receive a complete application.
5) You will sign a DPA Note, Deed and other closing documents after you sign your first mortgage loan documents.
6) If you would like to speak to someone in the DPA Department for additional questions or information, please feel free to call us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (901) 636-7474 . Our Office Hours are Mon-Fri, 8:00 – 4:30.
Down Payment Assistance Program Process
Citywide DPA * Memphis Housing Authority DPA* Memphis Housing Connect DPA
-first-time homebuyers with income not exceeding 80% median income, purchasing inside the city limits and meeting specific program eligibility requirements.
Homebuyer Incentive Program – Citizens
-homebuyers with income between 81% – 200% median income, purchasing in designated areas inside the city limits and meeting specific program eligibility requirements.
Homebuyer Incentive Program – Police, Fire andTeachers
-homebuyers meeting employment requirements, purchasing inside the city limits and meeting specific program eligibility requirements. No income limits.
|DPA FY22 Income-Sales Price Chart Effective 7.1.2021||162.29 KB||07-02-2021||DownloadPreview|
|FY22 DPA All Programs Flyer||271.69 KB||07-02-2021||DownloadPreview|
|DPA HIPC Designated Areas- Zip Codes and Neighborhoods||905.24 KB||07-02-2021||DownloadPreview|
|DPA Income-Asset Questionnaire||175.29 KB||08-19-2020||DownloadPreview|
Funds Available: Down Payment and Closing Costs
The City of Memphis is providing up to $10,000 to help homebuyers with down payment and closing costs to complete the purchase of a home inside the city limits of Memphis. Programs are available for first-time homebuyers and for existing homeowners wanting to sell their current homes and upgrade or downsize to a home that better fits their needs.