City of Memphis Winter Weather Updates (12-23)
10 a.m. update
We opened a second warming center yesterday. There are two locations: Hospitality Hub, 590 Washington Avenue and Hickory Hill Community Center location at 3910 Ridgeway Road. Warmers center will remain open until further notice. For transportation, beginning at 6 p.m., please contact the Office of Emergency Management at 901-297-1680.
- 160 people utilized the Warming Centers yesterday.
Emergency Warming Centers provide temporary shelter for those who are impacted by cold weather. The warming center is not intended to replace the services provided by a shelter. Openings are available at local shelters for anyone who is in need of a full-service shelter.
Those seeking shelter accommodations are encouraged to seek assistance from our partners;
- Union Mission (Men’s Shelter), 901-526-8403
- The Salvation Army (Women or women and children).
- Other shelter services may be found by calling the 24-hour MIFA hotline at 901-529-4545.
- Update as of 10:02 am 126 outages are reported, affecting approximately 9,259 customers
- To report a power outage contact MLGW at 901-544-6500.
- Outage Map https://www.mlgw.com/residential/outagemap
- To report a gas leak call MLGW’s 24-hour Emergency Line, 528-4465.
Solid Waste/Garbage, recycling and outside the cart collections:
The Memphis Solid Waste Division is suspending collection as of Friday. Customers are asked to present their carts Tuesday, December 27, 2022. City crews will be working overtime throughout the week following Christmas to restore services. We ask for patience as Friday’s service will not be restored fully until Saturday, December 31, 2022. Customers experiencing delays are asked to leave their garbage and recycle carts at the curb until collected. For information on your collection schedule and to receive notifications of service changes, you can download the free City of Memphis Curbside Collection app on Apple or Google Play.
Snow and Ice Operations will continue for at least the next 24 hours (as of Friday morning). This is a continuous operation and the city is using all available assets to manage the Public Works response to severe winter weather.
Public Works Snow and Ice Operation incudes:
- 16 sand/salt trucks
- To report a downed trees after-hours call OEM at (901) 636-2525
- 6 Traffic lights remain out of service due to power outages. This number will fluctuate as MLGW continues to restore power.
Safety Tips for Traffic Signal Outage:
- Traffic Signal Lights with outages should be treated as a four way stop
- Flashing Red Lights should be treated as a stop sign
- Flashing Yellow Lights – Drivers should proceed with caution only when traffic permits
Memphis Police Department
- 303 motor vehicle crashes in last 24 hours
- 113 of the crashes occurred between 5:25 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 22.
- MPD inclement Weather policy for vehicle crashes is still in effect, meaning that drivers should exchange information if they were in a minor crash with no injuries and no wrecker needed. They can report to any of the nine stations in the next 48 hours to report the crash.
- Please watch out for first responders when they are out of their vehicles working traffic events.
Memphis Animal Service (MAS)
The law requires that when a dog is outside that a doghouse be available and access to clean food and water provided during non life-threatening temperatures, but when temperatures are dangerously hot or dangerously cold, you have to do more than that. You have to bring them inside.
ICE MELT IS OFTEN TOXIC TO PETS
- If you use ice melt, make sure it’s pet-friendly
- If your pet has access to ice melt you did not purchase, be sure to clean their paws after they walk on it, OR they can wear booties
LIMIT OUTDOOR PLAYTIME
- • Don’t rely on your dog to alert you to them being too cold
- Remember if you live in Memphis, your dog is NOT acclimated to single-digit temperatures, regardless of breed
- • Dry off after being outside
Mata is suspending all trolley service and Cordova Ready! Zone today and will run it’s Sunday Schedule (10 a.m. – 7p.m.) is in effect until further notice.
MATAPlus will provide life sustaining-trips only. For winter weather/holiday schedule information. visit: https://www.matatransit.com/assets/2/6/Holiday_weekend_update_December_2022.pdf
-Memphis International Airport:
Many airlines have canceled or delayed flights around the country due to snow and ice. Be sure to check your airline before heading to the airport. You can keep up with all MEM flight statuses on our website at https://flymemphis.com/flight-status/