“I’m sorry to learn today of the passing of Judge Teresa Jones who lost her battle with cancer. I was honored to appoint Teresa to the Memphis Municipal Court, Division One, before she was overwhelmingly elected in October of 2019. A long time public servant, Judge Jones applied her talent as a Shelby County school board member, Chief City Prosecutor, trial attorney, public defender and adjunct professor. She was also a competitive tennis player. Teresa Jones was a wonderful person, a skilled lawyer and a great judge who served our city well. Fortunately, I had the opportunity earlier in the week, not knowing it would be my last, to express those exact feelings to her. My sincere condolences to her family and friends in their time of grief.”
Teresa Jones served as judge for Division 1 of the Memphis Municipal Court in Tennessee. Jones assumed office on January 15, 2019. Jones’ current term ends in 2023.
Jones ran for re-election for the Division 1 judge of the Memphis Municipal Court in Tennessee. Jones won in the general election on October 3, 2019.
Jones was the District 2 representative on the Shelby County Board of Education in Tennessee from 2011 to 2019. She resigned in 2019 after she was appointed as Memphis Municipal Judge District 1.
High School: Byhalia High School, graduated 1977
College: Lane College, B.A. Mass Communications & Business 1981
Law School: Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, University of Memphis, 1986
Family: Jones was a proud aunt and godmother with 2 sisters, 3 brothers and a large extended family of aunts and cousins. Her parents, Horace Jr. and Lottie Jones are deceased.
– Former Elected Member Shelby County School Board District 2, 2011 – 2019, served as Chair from 2014-2016.
– Lane College Board of Trustees, Appointed February 2014- Present & Lane College Memphis Alumni Chapter
– Leadership Memphis Executive Program, 2014
– Ben F. Jones Chapter NBA, Memphis Bar Assoc., National Bar Assoc., American Bar Assoc., TN Bar Assoc.
– Tennessee Lawyers Assistance Program, Comm. Member & Past Chair
– Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Memphis Alumni Chapter
– Memphis Area Legal Services Board Member, 1993
– Sickle Cell Anemia Foundation, Board Member, 1991-1996
– Life Member American Tennis Association & U. S. Tennis Assoc.
– Memphis Bar Foundation, Fellow
– Mothers Of The Nile Outstanding Leadership Award
– Teamsters TNBC Trailblazer Award 2017
– 12 Outstanding Women 2019, Memphis Interfaith Denominational Fellowship, Incorporated
Judge Tarik Sugarmon offered these words on the passing of Judge Jones:
It is with heavy hearts that the Judges, Clerk and staff of the Memphis Municipal Courts share with the Memphis community the sad news of the passing this afternoon of Judge Teresa Jones. Judge Jones was a graduate of Lane College and the Memphis State University School of Law. She began her life of public service at the Shelby County Public Defender’s Office. Judge Jones also shared her passion for law as an adjunct professor at the University of Memphis Law School and LeMoyne Owen College.
Judge Jones was the District II representative on the Shelby County Board of Education for 8 years and served as Chief Prosecutor for the Memphis Municipal Courts. Her dream position was to serve her community as a Judge. On January 15, 2019 that dream became reality with her appointment to City Court Judge. In October of that same year she was elected to a full 8 year term.
Our community has lost a valuable public servant and we have lost a dear friend.