Memphis Academy of Civic Engagement
125 N. Main, Room 514 Memphis, TN 38103
The Memphis Academy of Civic Engagement (MACE) is a multi-week course sponsored by the Memphis City Council. It is designed to connect residents with their local municipal government. MACE will enhance residents’ civic knowledge, strengthen participants’ understanding of how their local government works for them, and promote civic volunteer opportunities. MACE’s goal is to get residents directly involved in their local communities and municipal government. The Academy will ultimately prepare and activate everyday citizens into action in their communities through service, volunteerism, and leadership — beyond the voting booth.
Memphis Academy of Civic Engagement Application
- Deadline for applications: August 21st, 2023 at 5:00pm CST
- Applicants selected for the Fall 2023 Cohort will be notified by August 23rd, 2023.
MACE in the Media
APPLICATIONS FOR THE FALL 2023 COHORT ARE NOW OPEN. PLEASE CLICK HERE TO APPLY!”
Who is eligible to apply for the program?
- Citizens of Memphis ages 18 and over can apply.
What do participants learn?
- Participants in the program will learn about many facets of Memphis government and civic participation from the program facilitators and invited speakers in a multi-session format. Speakers will include leaders of various divisions of City of Memphis government who will share how the divisions serve the citizens of Memphis each day, and representatives from community organizations will share how they serve Memphians in varying capacities. Selected session topics include: Memphis 101, City budgeting, public safety, service opportunities, etc.
What is the format of the sessions? When are the sessions?
- Sessions will be approximately 1.5-2 hours in length. The dates for the Fall 2023 cohort are as follows: September 6, 13, 20, 27; October 11, 18, 28. Depending on the date of the session, the meetings will be held on Wednesday evenings (approximately 6-7:30pm) and Saturday mornings (approximately 10am-12pm). The sessions will be held in in-person or virtual formats, depending on the session. The sessions on September 13, October 14, and October 28 will be held in-person. Location details are still being finalized. PLEASE NOTE: in order to graduate, selected applicants MUST attend the September 13th, 2023 session and must not be absent for more than one session. Please apply for a future cohort if you will be unable to attend these sessions.
I can’t participate in this cohort but am interested in the program. Will there be more cohorts in the future?
- There are additional cohorts planned for FY24. Check back for updates on future cohort applications.
I’m interested in MACE but missed the application deadline. How can I submit my contact information to learn when the next application cycle opens?
- Send an email with your name, preferred email address, and request to be added to the notification list for the next application cycle to [email protected].
Who can I contact with questions?
- Email: [email protected]
- Memphis City Council office: 901-636-6786